THIMBLE DEVICE FOR LAYING LONG-WELDED RAILS
London Transport has introduced a thimble device which, attached to a crane hook, enables 300 ft. lengths of welded rail to be installed rapidly with a labor force of five men. Laying speeds of up to two miles of single rail an hour can be achieved. The new conductor or running rails to be laid are shop-welded into 300 ft. lengths. Conductor rails are then site welded into longer lengths, usually of half a mile.
Temple Press Limited161-166 Fleet Street
Longon EC4, England
- Publication Date: 1959-6-5
- Features: Photos;
- Pagination: 2 p.
- RAILWAY GAZETTE
- Volume: 110
- TRT Terms: Construction; Equipment design; Rail (Railroads); Technology; Welded rail
- Geographic Terms: United Kingdom
- Subject Areas: Construction; Design; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00037997
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Dec 4 1994 12:00AM