MEASUREMENT OF PEDESTRIAN BEHAVIOR: A HANDBOOK FOR IDENTIFYING THE BEHAVIORS TO MEASURE AND THE MEASUREMENT SYSTEMS FOR USE IN COUNTERMEASURE EVALUATION
The handbook presents, in concise fashion, recommendations as to specific pedestrian, driver, and vehicle behaviors to be studied and measured in order to assess the effectiveness of each of 24 proposed potential countermeasures as they relate to each of 11 common accident types. Further, the handbook provides information regarding the selection of cost-effective measurement systems to be used for the purpose of behavioral measurement. The handbook is designed for use by both researchers in highway safety and non-technically oriented local traffic safety officials. For the researchers, the handbook contains the methodological detail necessary to stipulate the behaviors which should be studied for any proposed countermeasure which is being considered for possible implementation, and the bases for choosing among alternative measurement systems to be employed in the assessment of those behaviors. For the traffic safety official, the handbook provides a simple means of determining the critical behaviors to be measured for a wide variety of accident by countermeasure situations and the best of several measuring instruments to be used.
- See also PB-262647.
American Institutes for Research1000 Thomas Jefferson Street, NW
Washington, DC USA 20007-3835
- Rose, A M
- Levine, H M
- Eisner, E J
- Publication Date: 1976-9
- Pagination: 106 p.
- TRT Terms: Behavior; Cost effectiveness; Countermeasures; Drivers; Handbooks; Measurement; Measures of effectiveness; Pedestrian safety; Pedestrians; Prevention; Safety; Traffic safety; Vehicle dynamics
- Uncontrolled Terms: Effectiveness
- Old TRIS Terms: Pedestrian protection; Vehicle responses
- Subject Areas: Highways; Pedestrians and Bicyclists; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies;
- Accession Number: 00175570
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-HS-803-263 Intrm Rpt., AIR-52200-9/76-IR
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-5-01187
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 14 1978 12:00AM