NORTHEAST CORRIDOR IMPROVEMENT PROJECT TASK 204: ELECTRIC MULTIPLE-UNIT CAR AND LOCOMOTIVE CONVERSION FOR DUAL-VOLTAGE, DUAL-FREQUENCY OPERATION
The report covers engineering requirements of converting electric MU cars and locomotives operating on the Northeast Corridor for dual-voltage, dual-frequency operation during and after rehabilitation of the electrification system for 25 kV, 60 Hz power. Technical considerations included compatibility of vehicles with electrified system; apparatus required on the vehicles for operation of 25 kV, 60 Hz, including pantograph, potential transformer, vacuum interrupter, high-voltage fuse, lighting arrester, primary-current transformer, main transformer and high-voltage conduit, cable, cable-support insulators, connectors, and terminator; modification of all power systems for frequency desensitivity; battery-sustained interior lighting; cab signal modifications; rehabilitation of old equipment; and testing requirements.
- Prepared in cooperation with Klauder (Louis T.) and Associates, Philadelphia, Pa. See also report dated Oct 77, PB-272 745.
De Leuw, Cather and Company1201 Connecticut Avenue, NW
Washington, DC USA 20036
Klauder (Louis T) and AssociatesPhiladelphia National Bank Building
Philadelphia, PA USA 19107
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Publication Date: 1977-9
- Pagination: 287 p.
- TRT Terms: Cab signals; Cables; Circuit breakers; Dual powered locomotives; Electric locomotives; Electric multiple unit cars; Electric power conditioning; Pantographs; Railroad electrification; Transformers; Voltage regulation
- Geographic Terms: Northeast Corridor; Northeastern United States
- Old TRIS Terms: Dual voltage locomotives
- Subject Areas: Energy; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00175539
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA/NECPO-78/7 Final Rpt., F204-47
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FR-76048
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Aug 27 2003 12:00AM