NORTHEAST CORRIDOR IMPROVEMENT PROJECT TASK 204: ELECTRIC MULTIPLE-UNIT CAR AND LOCOMOTIVE CONVERSION FOR DUAL-VOLTAGE, DUAL-FREQUENCY OPERATION
The report covers engineering requirements of converting electric MU cars and locomotives operating on the Northeast Corridor for dual-voltage, dual-frequency operation during and after rehabilitation of the electrification system for 25 kV, 60 Hz power. Technical considerations included compatibility of vehicles with electrified system; apparatus required on the vehicles for operation of 25 kV, 60 Hz, including pantograph, potential transformer, vacuum interrupter, high-voltage fuse, lighting arrester, primary-current transformer, main transformer and high-voltage conduit, cable, cable-support insulators, connectors, and terminator; modification of all power systems for frequency desensitivity; battery-sustained interior lighting; cab signal modifications; rehabilitation of old equipment; and testing requirements.
- Prepared in cooperation with Klauder (Louis T.) and Associates, Philadelphia, Pa. See also report dated Oct 77, PB-272 745.
De Leuw, Cather and Company1201 Connecticut Avenue, NW
Washington, DC United States 20036
Klauder (Louis T) and AssociatesPhiladelphia National Bank Building
Philadelphia, PA United States 19107
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Publication Date: 1977-9
- Pagination: 287 p.
- TRT Terms: Cab signals; Cables; Circuit breakers; Dual powered locomotives; Electric locomotives; Electric multiple unit cars; Electric power conditioning; Pantographs; Railroad electrification; Transformers; Voltage regulation
- Geographic Terms: Northeast Corridor; Northeastern United States
- Old TRIS Terms: Dual voltage locomotives
- Subject Areas: Energy; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00175539
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA/NECPO-78/7 Final Rpt., F204-47
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FR-76048
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Aug 27 2003 12:00AM