EVALUATION OF A 100-WATT ELEVATED HIGH-INTENSITY RUNWAY EDGE LIGHT
The purpose of this project is to evaluate a newly designed, elevated, high-intensity runway edge light using a 100-watt lamp as its light source, rather than the standard 200-watt lamp, to determine if the lower wattage lamp and fixture combination would be satisfactory for category I and category II low-visibility operations, where a Federal Aviation Administration Specification type L-862 runway edge light fixture would be required. Pilot opinion during flight tests indicates that an installed group A version of the experimental runway edge light unit is visually adequate for category I weather operations and should be adequate for category II operations. Group A lights, however, did not meet the Office of Airport Programs Specification for L-862 runway edge lights (Advisory Circular 150/5345-48). An improved group B version will meet both requirements, since it satisfactorily passed the L-862 photometric specifications.
- This is the final report of a series that includes the following two interim reports: (1) FAA-RD-74-128, "Evaluation of an Experimental Elevated High-Intensity Runway Edge Light," and (2) FAA-RD-74-171, "Evaluation of an Experimental High-Intensity Inset Runway Edge Light Fixture".
National Aviation Facilities Experimental CenterFederal Aviation Administration
Atlantic City, NJ USA 08405
- Johnston, R E
- Reamer, E L
- Publication Date: 1978-3
- Pagination: 20 p.
- TRT Terms: Air pilots; Airborne navigational aids; Airport runways; Airports; Approach; Instrument flying; Instrument landing systems; Lighting equipment; Navigation lights; Specifications; Visibility
- Uncontrolled Terms: Edges
- Old TRIS Terms: Approach lights; High intensity; Runway lights
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Pavements; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00175526
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FAA-RD-77-176 Final Rpt., FAA-NA-77-47
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Jun 14 1978 12:00AM