FREIGHT CAR TRUCK DESIGN OPTIMIZATION. VOLUME I. EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
The report reviews and gives conclusions of Phase I of the Truck Design Optimization Project (TDOP). It represents the first of a six volume published set. The report studies the performance of the standard three-piece truck. Railroad profitability can be increased through the objective of reduction of lading damage. A combination of longitudinal forces (humping and train action), lateral oscillations (hunting), and vertical dynamics (rock n' roll) is one cause of lading damage which can be eliminated by the railroad industry's adoption of performance guidelines which define performance values to control truck and carbody motion. Another profitability objective is to reduce the costs of wear and maintenance on rail vehicle components. Wheel flange and tread wear represent one of the major costs to operating railroads and car leasers, and can be attributed to poor truck performance and adverse wheel/rail interface dynamics. The thirty percent of car repair costs associated with wheels can be substantially reduced through improved truck performance. Both of these objectives must be backed by the development of a sound economic methodology useful in the equipment acquisition process and the attendent alternative investment decisions.
- Record URL:
- See also PB-248350. Volumes 2 through 6 in RRIS 02 175505-177509 respectively; Bulletin 7802.
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Fay, G R
- Bang, A J
- Publication Date: 1978-2
- Media Type: Digital/other
- Pagination: 39 p.
- TRT Terms: Axles; Components; Data collection; Design; Durability; Dynamic tests; Economic analysis; Freight cars; Freight service; Freight transportation; Hunting (Dynamics); Loss and damage; Optimization; Performance evaluations; Railroad cars; Research projects; Ride quality; Rocking; Rolling; Tests; Trucks; Vehicle design; Vehicle performance; Wheels
- Uncontrolled Terms: Dynamic analysis
- Old TRIS Terms: Cargo transportation; Lading damage; Rock and roll; Truck performance
- Subject Areas: Design; Economics; Freight Transportation; Motor Carriers; Research; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00175504
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FRA/ORD-78/12.I Final Rpt.
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: May 31 1978 12:00AM