EVALUATION OF SEVERAL METHODS OF ESTABLISHING PLANT COVER BY SEEDING ON THE ROADSIDE
Several woody plant species were direct seeded on a roadside slope. Of the species that germinated, seedling survival declined over time. Cercis canadensis and Robinia pseudoacacia appeared to provide some cover, however natural seeding of these native plants also occurred in unseeded plots and buffers. Mixtures of grasses and herbaceous legumes were used for erosion control. Auena sativa provided rapid cover and held the seeds of more desirable species in the bottom of the existing gullies. Coronilla varia established permanent cover and halted erosion by the second season. Wheat straw, shredded hardwood bark and shredded rubber tires were evaluated as mulch materials for newly seeded slopes. Shredded bark and wheat straw gave excellent results, however, shredded rubber was inferior even to the check. The coverage and hardiness of twenty-six grasses and herbaceous legumes were evaluated. Vicia villosa and Trifolium pratense showed excellent cover and hardiness over a two year period.
- Report on Development of Techniques for Plant Establishment on the Roadside.
Purdue University/Indiana Department of Transportation JHRPPurdue University, School of Civil Engineering
West Lafayette, IN USA 47907-1284
Indiana State Highway CommissionIndianapolis, IN USA 46204
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Carpenter, P L
- Hensley, D
- Newbill, D
- Levinskas, N
- Publication Date: 1977-11
- Pagination: 36 p.
- TRT Terms: Acceptance; Erosion control; Evaluation; Grasses; Highways; Legumes; Mixtures; Mulches; Plant growth; Planting; Plants; Roadside; Seeds; Seepage; Slopes; Survival; Trees; Vegetation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Acceptability; Germination
- Old TRIS Terms: Leguminous plants; Oat plants; Plant cover
- Subject Areas: Design; Environment; Highways; Hydraulics and Hydrology;
- Accession Number: 00175497
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-IN-76-34 Intrm Rpt., JHRP-76-34
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: May 31 1978 12:00AM