HYBRID VEHICLE TECHNOLOGY CONSTRAINTS AND APPLICATION ASSESSMENT STUDY. VOLUME 1. SUMMARY
This four-volume report presents analyses and assessments of both heat engine/battery- and heat engine/flywheel-powered hybrid vehicles to determine if they could contribute to near-term (1980-1990) reductions in transportation energy consumption under several sets of operational conditions: urban driving, highway driving, and stop-start, low-speed delivery service conditions. In addition, the impact of such hybrid vehicle use on vehicle-related exhaust emissions is determined, and the ability to accommodate a different energy resource base in the longer term is evaluated, i.e., by permitting a portion of the recharge energy for the on-board energy storage device (battery or flywheel) to be provided by wall-plug electric power from the utility industry instead of from the on-board heat engine. Alternative paths for power transmission from the heat engine to the vehicle drive wheels are considered along with the potential of regenerative braking to reduce vehicle energy consumption. This first of four volumes constitutes a summary of the more significant results of the study.
- See also Volume 2, PB-278 119. Also available in set of 4 reports PC E14, PB-278 117-SET.
Aerospace Corporation2350 East El Sequdo Boulevard
El Sequndo, CA United States 90245
Transportation Systems Center55 Broadway, Kendall Square
Cambridge, MA United States 02142
- Lapedes, D E
- HINTON, M G
- FORREST, L
- Kohlenberger, J
- RYAN, T
- Publication Date: 1977-11
- Pagination: 117 p.
- TRT Terms: Automobiles; Battery chargers; Dynamic braking; Electric batteries; Energy; Energy conservation; Exhaust gases; Flywheels; Fuel consumption; Hybrid vehicles; Internal combustion engines; Storage batteries; Technology assessment; Vehicle power plants
- Old TRIS Terms: Automobile engines; Hybrid propulsion
- Subject Areas: Energy; Environment; Highways; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00175489
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-TSC-OST-77-23-1 Final Rpt.
- Files: NTIS, TRIS
- Created Date: May 31 1978 12:00AM