EVALUATION AND CORRELATION OF DRIVER/VEHICLE DATA. VOLUME I. SUMMARY REPORT
The purpose of the study has been to analyze and correlate available handling-related driver/vehicle system response and performance data. This information has been used in an effort to identify safety-relevant vehicle performance characteristics and requirements criteria. Driver/vehicle interaction in safety-related vehicle maneuvers has been studied to infer the behavior of drivers in various accident scenarios, and to determine the manner in which vehicle factors influence this behavior. The driving situations considered have included open and closed loop limit maneuvers, closed loop emergency avoidance maneuvers, and closed loop normal regualtion and maneuver tasks. Analysis and correlation procedures, beyond those developed in previous studies, have been examined, and new parameters and coefficients have been evaluated as possible system characterizing factors. The focus has been on deducing possible requirements criteria which are sensitive to driver/vehicle response and performance characteristics, which can be assessed using objective procedures, and which can provide guidance for further research studies and possible activities in the area of safety performance standards.
- See also Volume 2, PB-278 069. Also available in set of 3 reports PC E08, PB-278 067-SET.
Systems Technology, Incorporated13766 South Hawthorne Boulevard
Hawthorne, CA USA 90250
Washington, DC USA 20590
- WEIR, D H
- DiMarco, R J
- McRuer, D T
- Publication Date: 1977-4
- Pagination: 41 p.
- TRT Terms: Behavior; Control; Correlation analysis; Driver performance; Drivers; Dynamic loads; Evaluation; Feedback control; Handling characteristics; Highways; Human factors engineering; Maneuverability; Performance; Personnel performance; Safety; Safety and security; Stability (Mechanics); Steering; Traffic crashes; Traffic safety; Transportation safety; Vehicles; Yaw
- Uncontrolled Terms: Criteria; Data; Dynamic response; Handling; Motor vehicle accidents
- Old TRIS Terms: Directional measurement; Response; System /linked/
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Highways; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00175484
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Transportation Statistical Reference File, TSC
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-HS-803-245 Final Rpt., STI-TR-1068-1-VOL-1
- Contract Numbers: DOT-HS-5-01200
- Files: NTIS, TSR, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: May 31 1978 12:00AM