RUNWAY ROUGHNESS EVALUATION LASER PROFILOMETER IMPLEMENTATION STUDY
Runway profiles and aircraft vertical acceleration responses were analyzed to develop an evaluation methodology for runway roughness and to develop roughness standards against which runways can be evaluated. Root mean square values of filtered profile data and vertical aircraft accelerations were statistically developed on a segmental basis into runway roughness standards. A methodology was developed to evaluate runway profiles against these standards; and to recommend corrective construction of the profile to reduce aircraft response. Profile roughness has therefore been based on a numerically relative basis. The establishment of runway roughness standards and evaluation methodology is considered incomplete, and additional work is recommended in this report. (Author)
Air Force Civil Engineering CenterTyndall AFB, FL USA 32401
- Burk, D O
- Clark, J I
- Publication Date: 1977-10
- Pagination: 65 p.
- TRT Terms: Airport runways; Data processing; Landing; Lasers; Maintenance; Methodology; Optical instruments; Pavements; Profilometers; Roughness; Safety; Standards; Statistical analysis
- Old TRIS Terms: Aircraft landing
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Data and Information Technology; Maintenance and Preservation; Pavements; Safety and Human Factors; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00175399
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: AFCEC-TR-78-1 Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 31 1978 12:00AM