PRELIMINARY EVALUATION OF WIND AND WAVE EFFECTS AT POTENTIAL LNG TERMINAL SITES, STATE OF CALIFORNIA
The California Legislature decreed that the California Coastal Commission had until 1 February 1978 to identify, evaluate, and rank alternate potential Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG) Terminal sites on the California coast. Because of the Corps' experience in various aspects of such studies, the U. S. Army Engineer Waterways Experiment Station was requested by the Coastal Commission to assist, particularly in the use of existing hindcast data to evaluate possible effects of wind and waves on the docking and unloading of a LNG tanker. The effect of wind and wave climate was relatively evaluated at 26 potential LNG terminal sites along the coast of California. The analysis did not apply wave refraction theory at any of the sites, so the absolute magnitudes of the values obtained at each site are subject to refinement. The computations which were performed were optimized on a site-specific basis; i.e., they have been determined by utilizing the situations unique to that one particular location, and the results should not be extrapolated far beyond the respective site, if at all.
- See also Appendix A: An Evaluation of the Relative Wave Climate at Five Onshore LNG Sites Considering Island Influences and Topographic Effects, AD-A054130/0ST, and Appendix B: An Evaluation of the Relative Wave Climate at Six Offshore LNG Sites Considering Island Influences and Topographic Effects, AD-A057426/9ST.
U.S. Army Waterways Experiment Station3909 Halls Ferry Road
Vicksburg, MS United States 39180-6199
- Hales, L Z
- Publication Date: 1978-1
- Pagination: 236 p.
- TRT Terms: Coasts; Daily; History; Liquefied natural gas; LNG terminals; Location; Marine terminals; Meteorological phenomena; Ocean waves; Oceans; Offshore structures; Petroleum terminals; Port operations; Ports; Seasons; Surveys; Tables (Data); Tankers; Transportation planning; Velocity; Waves; Wind
- Uncontrolled Terms: Coastal regions; Seasonal variations
- Geographic Terms: California; Pacific Ocean
- Old TRIS Terms: Deep water; Meteorological data; Oceanographic data; Wave effects; Wind velocity
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; History; Marine Transportation; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00175363
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: WES-MP-H-78-2 Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 31 1978 12:00AM