FORECAST OF DEVELOPMENTS IN DOMESTIC MINERALS TRANSPORT
A study was undertaken of the current situation and prospective developments in domestic transport of nonenergy minerals. The four major modes of transport were covered: railroad, highway, water, and pipeline. In the first phase of the study, a metal (copper) and a nonmetal (phosphate rock) were selected and studied in depth. Various problems facing shippers and carriers of these minerals were identified. The second phase of the study expanded the scope to all nonenergy minerals and qualitatively forecast developments into the future. Estimates of increased fuel prices for each mode of transport were applied to assess expected changes in transport cost and modal competition. For some of the key issues facing domestic transport of minerals, possible actions for the Bureau of Mines include further analysis to identify the impact of policy options.
CONSAD Research Corporation121 North Highland Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA United States 15206
Bureau of MinesC Street Between 18th and 19th Streets, NW
Washington, DC United States 20241
- Weinblatt, H
- Matzzie, D E
- Publication Date: 1977-11
- Pagination: 230 p.
- TRT Terms: Competition; Copper; Cost estimating; Energy consumption; Estimates; Fertilizers; Forecasting; Freight traffic; Freight transportation; Fuel consumption; Highway transportation; Inland waterways; Interstate transportation; Iron ores; Management; Metal industry; Minerals; Motor carriers; Ores; Phosphate rock; Pipeline transportation; Planning; Policy; Railroad cars; Railroad transportation; Slurry pipelines; Traffic; Traffic forecasting; Transportation; Transportation modes; Trucks; Water transportation
- Old TRIS Terms: Cargo transportation; Government policies; Management planning; Mineral economics; Mineral traffic; Ore traffic; Phosphate deposits
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Energy; Operations and Traffic Management; Planning and Forecasting; Policy; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00175346
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: BuMines-OFR-4-78 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: J0166002
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 31 1978 12:00AM