RAILROAD IMPACT STUDY - 63 RAIL LINE SEGMENTS IN SOUTH DAKOTA
The primary concern of the study (in 2 volumes) was the trade area served by a rail line. The trade area was determined on the assumption that a farmer will haul his grain to the nearest elevator located on a railroad line. The basic approach in this study has been to measure potential demand for rail transportation, not to analyze the traffic data accumulated in the recent past. The first five chapters give the summaries for the entire state of South Dakota. The rail line segments have been revised and recorded to comply as nearly as possible, with that, used by the various railroad companies. Some railroad data would be made available for this study that would provide a basis for estimating the rail potential in the major cities of South Dakota.
- Prepared in cooperation with Task Force on Railroad Policy and South Dakota Dept. of Transportation, Pierre. See also Appendix, PB-276 935.
University of South Dakota, VermillionBusiness Research Bureau, 414 East Clark Street
Vermillion, SD United States 57069-2390
Pierre, SD United States 57501
Economic Development Administration14th Street, Between E St and Constitution Avenue, NW
Washington, DC United States
- Poth, L A
- Peterson, J
- Publication Date: 1977-12
- Pagination: 218 p.
- TRT Terms: Agricultural products; Branch lines; Bulk cargo; Coal; Coal industry; Commodities; Demand; Economic development; Economic impacts; Farm produce; Forecasting; Forest products; Freight traffic; Freight transportation; Grain; Grain elevators; Lumber; Railroad traffic; Railroads; Technical assistance; Trade; Traffic density; Traffic forecasting
- Uncontrolled Terms: Grain trade
- Geographic Terms: South Dakota
- Old TRIS Terms: Agricultural traffic; Cargo transportation; Light density lines
- Subject Areas: Economics; Freight Transportation; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00175311
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: BULL-124, EDA-78-034
- Contract Numbers: EDA-05-06-01592
- Files: TRIS, STATEDOT
- Created Date: May 31 1978 12:00AM