DEVELOPMENT OF RESEARCH IN THE CONSTRUCTION OF TRANSPORTATION FACILITIES: A STUDY OF NEEDS, OBJECTIVES, RESOURCES, AND MECHANISMS FOR IMPLEMENTATION. SUMMARY REPORT
Specific objectives for the study included the following: (1) Evaluate and quantify the current state of productivity in the construction of transportation facilities; (2) determine areas having the largest potential economic returns and the greatest needs where research could lead to improvements in technology and management for improved productivity; (3) assess present and potential interests and capabilities of institutions and individuals that could do such research in transportation construction; (4) explore incentives and improved mechanisms for implementing findings that would result from expanded research efforts; (5) develop means for evaluating the impact that policy, contractual and technical decision-making in the planning and design stages has on capital costs in the construction phase.
- See also PB-277419 in RRIS 00 175271; Bulletin 7802.
Stanford UniversityDepartment of Civil Engineering
Stanford, CA USA 94305
Department of TransportationOffice of University Research, 1200 New Jersey Avenue, SE
Washington, DC USA 20590
- Paulson, B C
- Fondahl, J W
- Parker, H W
- Publication Date: 1977-9
- Pagination: 32 p.
- TRT Terms: Construction; Construction management; Construction projects; Contract administration; Cost control; Cost overruns; Costs; Decision making; Development; Economics; Facilities; Incentives; Industrial engineering; Management; Metropolitan areas; Needs assessment; Policy; Productivity; Project management; Rapid transit; Research; Subways; Technological innovations; Transportation; Transportation operations; Transportation planning; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Research and development; Transportation management
- Old TRIS Terms: Management methods; Overruns; Rapid transit railways; Subway construction; Transportation administration; Transportation research
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Construction; Economics; Planning and Forecasting; Policy; Research; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00175272
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT/RSPD/DPB/50-7714Final Rpt., TR-224
- Contract Numbers: DOT-OS-60150
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: May 18 1981 12:00AM