AN ASSESSMENT OF THE EFFECTS OF COAL MOVEMENT ON THE HIGHWAYS IN THE APPALACHIAN REGION
The study examines the Appalachian area road system and determines the number of tons of coal hauled by truck for eight coal producing states of Alabama, Tennessee, Virginia, West Virginia, Ohio, Maryland, Kentucky and Pennsylvania during the 1974 year. Also estimated are the miles of roads impacted by coal haulage and the frequency (truck/day) of such haulage. Movement patterns as well as the coal truck characteristics are described. Estimates of 1980 coal production under two sets of assumptions are made. A generalized adequacy assessment is made of the impacted roads. Over 14,300 miles were impacted. Some 6,880 miles were estimated to be inadequate to meet 1974 coal traffic volumes. An estimated $5-6 billion would be needed to upgrade roads, replace bridges and provide adequate maintenance at 1980 production levels. State resources were considered inadequate to meet this need and several national programs options were explored.
- Prepared in cooperation with North Carolina Univ. at Raleigh.
Research Triangle InstituteP.O. Box 12194
Research Triangle Pk, NC United States 27709
North Carolina State University, RaleighHighway Research Program, P.O. Box 5993
Raleigh, NC United States 27607
Appalachian Regional Commission1666 Connecticut Avenue, NW
Washington, DC United States 20235
- Lema, J E
- WEST, L B
- Griffith, W
- Babcock, W
- Publication Date: 1977-11
- Pagination: 448 p.
- TRT Terms: Coal; Estimates; Financing; Freight handling; Freight transportation; Haul distance; Highway bridges; Highway maintenance; Highway traffic; Highway transportation; Highways; Impact studies; Industries; Maintenance; Pavements; Planning; Productivity; State government; Traffic volume; Trucks
- Uncontrolled Terms: Hauling
- Geographic Terms: Kentucky; Maryland; Ohio; Pennsylvania; Tennessee; Virginia; West Virginia
- Old TRIS Terms: Cargo transportation; Vehicular traffic
- Subject Areas: Freight Transportation; Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; Motor Carriers; Pavements; Planning and Forecasting;
- Accession Number: 00175131
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: ARC-76-172-NC-5214 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: ARC-76-172/NC-5214
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 26 1978 12:00AM