CHARACTERIZATION OF SECONDARY IGNITION SOURCES IN UNATTENDED COMPARTMENTS AND FULL-SCALE BASELINE TEST
The characteristics of five fuel loads burned within a metal lavatory were identified. In 15 of the tests the lavatory door remained closed for the 30-minute test period while in 15 additional tests the door was opened after the fire had developed. Upon completion of these tests the most severe source was selected for use in the baseline test. In the baseline test, the lavatory and adjacent panels, all of which were constructed of contemporary materials, were tested for a period of 1 hour. Thermal, environmental, and biological data were obtained for all fuel loads, door conditions, and the baseline test. All tests were conducted in a cabin fire simulator with separate ventilation of the cabin and lavatory representative of an inflight condition. The baseline test established that by using the most severe fuel source: (1) the exposed animal subject survived without complications; (2) no toxic levels of gas within the cabin were detected; (3) a propagating fire did not develop in adjacent structures; (4) the lavatory containing the fire remained structurally intact; (5) decomposition of portions of the lavatory did occur; and (6) cabin visibility would have presented a problem after 5 minutes.
Douglas Aircraft Company, Incorporated3855 Lakewood Boulevard
Long Beach, CA United States 90801
- Klink, D M
- Publication Date: 1977-11
- Pagination: 67 p.
- TRT Terms: Aircraft; Aircraft cabins; Aircraft fuels; Aviation safety; Combustion; Data collection; Environment; Fires; Loss and damage; Medical case reports; Medical records; Simulation; Test chambers; Thermal properties; Toilet facilities; Vehicle compartments
- Uncontrolled Terms: Aircraft safety; Fire damage
- Old TRIS Terms: Aircraft fires; Biomedical data; Combustion products
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Safety and Human Factors; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00175020
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: NASA-CR-151573 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: NAS9-14948
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 26 1978 12:00AM