A NEW SENSING SYSTEM FOR PRE-EXCAVATION SUBSURFACE INVESTIGATION FOR TUNNELS IN ROCK MASSES. VOLUME II. APPENDICES: DETAILED THEORETICAL, EXPERIMENTAL AND ECONOMIC FOUNDATION
Contents: Theoretical studies-(Alternatives considered for a feasible baseline system, Rock characteristics of significance in tunneling, Range and resolution, Acoustic wave propagation in hard rock, Acoustic sensing system, Ground-probing radar, Electrical resistivity, Signal processing techniques applicable to subsurface investigation of rock masses through boreholes, Conceptual design of hard rock sensor conveyance device, Applicability of drill rigs as propulsion devices); Critical laboratory experiments-(Studies of geo-engineering properties of rock related to the use of radar and sonar probing systems, Transverse-dipole borehole antennas, Subsurface experiments with radar); Economic considerations-(Comparative study of probabilities of success of candidate system design concepts, Economic analysis of the full-capability system, Cost of pilot tunnels, Analysis of sensing cost-benefit ratios as functions of borehole size, Cost-effectiveness considerations for propulsion and penetration).
- See also Vol. 1, PB-276 720.
ENSCO, Incorporated5400 Port Royal Road
Springfield, VA United States 22151
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Rubin, L A
- Fowler, J C
- Griffin, J N
- Still, W L
- Publication Date: 1976-8
- Pagination: 505 p.
- TRT Terms: Acoustic detectors; Acoustic emission; Acoustic measuring instruments; Acoustics; Analysis; Antennas; Benefit cost analysis; Boreholes; Construction; Cost effectiveness; Costs; Data collection; Economic analysis; Electrical resistivity; Engineering geology; Excavation and tunneling; Functional analysis; Geological events; Geological surveying; Mass; Radar; Range (Statistics); Range (Vehicles); Rocks; Seismic prospecting; Seismicity; Sensors; Sonar; Surveys; Tunneling; Wave motion
- Non-Preferred Terms: Soil surveying; Subsurface investigations
- Uncontrolled Terms: Construction costs; Cost analysis; Resolution; Rock mass
- Old TRIS Terms: Acoustic measurement; Geological conditions; Resistivity; Rock tunneling; Seismic surveys; Subsurface explorations
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Construction; Economics; Finance; Geotechnology; Highways;
- Accession Number: 00174741
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-RD-77- 11 Final Rpt., 1061-TR-3-1-Vol-2
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FH-11-8602
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Apr 12 1978 12:00AM