EVALUATION OF EXPRESS BUSWAY ON SAN BERNARDINO FREEWAY - THIRD YEAR REPORT
This is the final report completing the evaluation of the San Bernardino Freeway Express Busway in the operational mode of exclusive use by buses. The San Bernardino Freeway Express Busway is an 11-mile, double-lane, exclusive roadway for buses connecting downtown Los Angeles to the City of El Monte. The busway lanes, which were built in the median strip of land, at some points, alongside the freeway, are physically separated by concrete and flexible barriers from those lanes which serve automobile traffic, making it a bus rapid transit system. This $57 million system is the most complete facility of its kind in the country, having off-line stations, park-ride facilities, double (bi-directional) bus lanes, feeder bus lines, and a downtown reserved (contraflow) lane. The Busway offers a service that is competitive with automobile commuting on the semi-congested freeway. The running time on the 11.2 mile busway, including two intermediate station stops, is 14 minutes. The project is part of the SCAG High Occupancy Vehicle Program consisting of transportation measures for improving air quality and energy conservation, and includes preferential treatment for high occupancy vehicles on freeways and major arterials, carpool action programs and transit development strategies.
- Prepared by Crain and Associates, Menlo Park, Calif.
Southern California Association of Governments1111 West Sixth Street
Los Angeles, CA United States 90017
Crain and Associates120 Santo Margarita Avenue
Menlo Park, CA United States 94025
Urban Mass Transportation Administration400 7th Street, SW
Washington, DC United States 20590
- Publication Date: 1976-5
- Pagination: 187 p.
- TRT Terms: Attitudes; Automobiles; Buses; Evaluation; Expressways; Freeways; Level of service; Parking facilities; Public opinion; Railroad stations; Traffic engineering
- Uncontrolled Terms: Services
- Geographic Terms: California
- Subject Areas: Operations and Traffic Management; Public Transportation; Society; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00174674
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTACA-09-0022
- Files: TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Mar 14 2002 12:00AM