THE LOS ANGELES DOWNTOWN PEOPLE MOVER
Joint development within the context of the Los Angeles Downtown People Mover refers to the physical integration of transit service with adjacent land-use developments. Joint development strategies offer several benefits. They can ensure both good access to new developments and more efficient use of transit systems. They can increase the opportunities for improved station design; they can capture resutling increases in land value and channel these financial gains for use in financing transit services. These joint development benefits, it is noted, depend upon several factors: Station location should be within economically healthy areas, there should be sufficient land area to achieve joint development strategies and, there is an advantage to the simultaneous design of transit service and site development. The Los Angeles People Mover satisfies these major conditions, and in addition introduces further joint development stragegies by strategic location and linkage of off-site parking with new developemnts. If operating today the people mover would provide service to about 1000 businesses within a 5 minute walk of the proposed eleven stations. Joint development opportunities are significant not just because they can be achieved in downtown but because they can be replicated in other activity centers throughtout the city.
Los Angeles Community Redevelopment Agency727 West 7th Street, Suite 400
Los Angeles, CA USA 90017
- Publication Date: 1977-12
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 17 p.
- TRT Terms: Central business districts; Economics; Joint development; Land use; Links (Networks); Parking; People movers; Railroad stations; Urban areas; Value capture
- Uncontrolled Terms: Linkages
- Subject Areas: Economics; Highways; Planning and Forecasting; Society; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00174441
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 14 1978 12:00AM