PUBLIC OPINION SURVEY ON ENERGY AND TRANSPORTATION
A statewide telephone opinion poll of NYS residents on energy and transportation issues was conducted during the Fall of 1977. The survey dealt primarily with issues in planning energy-saving actions in transportation. Opinions were collected on general approaches for conserving energy and specific conservation policies. The responses were analyzed along three characteristics: residential location (NYC, large metro, small metro, rural), sex, and age. The key results are as follows: Most people feel there is, or will be, an energy problem in the U.S. NYS residents do not believe any one sector should be given the most concentration in energy planning. The support is equally split among homes, industry, business, transportation, and government. The encouragement of transit use with cities is the most preferred approach to save transportation energy. Encouraging train and intercity bus travel is the next most preferred approach, followed by getting drivers to cut gas use. NYS residents strongly support incentive programs for encouraging conservation, and do not favor tax and rebate programs. This is the case for policies in all three general approaches. Most respondents feel that the elderly and handicapped should be given special attention when planning energy-saving action in transportation. This group received far more support than any other group considered. /Author/
- This report was prepared in part with the financial assistance of the U.S. Department of Transportation.
Albany, NY United States 12232
- Neveu, A J
- Publication Date: 1977-12
- Features: Appendices; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 47 p.
- TRT Terms: Aged; Bus transportation; Data collection; Energy; Incentives; Intercity bus lines; Persons with disabilities; Planing; Public opinion; Railroad transportation; Residential areas; Surveys; Transportation; Urban transportation
- Subject Areas: Economics; Energy; Society; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00174439
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: Res Rpt. 135
- Files: TRIS, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Jun 14 1981 12:00AM