STUDIES IN RAILROAD OPERATIONS AND ECONOMICS. THE ROLE OF SCREENING MODELS IN EVALUATING RAILROAD RATIONALIZATION PROPOSALS
With so many possible ways to improve rail systems, it is impossible to study them all in a realistic manner. Hence, it is necessary to choose a few possibilities for careful analysis. Simple models of operations, service, and costs can be used to ensure that the most promising possibilities are actually chosen for in depth analysis. These models need not be precise; they need only screen out reasonable possibilities from unreasonable ones. This report presents a number of screening models of rail operations and service. These models can be used immediately by anyone familiar with rail operations. The models can also be used as educational tools. Several program listings for hand calculators are included to promote use of these models. The report also includes conclusions regarding the most effective ways to improve the rail transportation system.
- Prepared for the Program of University Research of the U.S. Department of Transportation.
Massachusetts Institute of TechnologyDepartment of Civil Engineering, 77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge, MA United States 02139
- Martland, C D
- Assarabowski, R
- MCCARREN, J R
- Publication Date: 1977-4
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 131 p.
- Volume: 21
- TRT Terms: Analysis; Car ownership (Railroads); Car utilization (Railroads); Classification yards; Costs; Decision making; Fleet management; Horsepower; Mathematical models; Network analysis (Planning); Operations; Planning; Productivity; Traffic delays; Train makeup; Yard operations
- Uncontrolled Terms: Cost analysis
- Old TRIS Terms: Analytical techniques; Fleet planning; Motive power; Operations planning; Yard throughput
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Finance; Freight Transportation; Planning and Forecasting; Railroads; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00174344
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Report/Paper Numbers: MIT-R77-13 Final Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 31 1978 12:00AM