IMCO CONFERENCE ON TANKER SAFETY AND POLLUTION PREVENTION
The International Conference on Tanker Safety and Pollution Prevention was held in London, England, from February 6-17, 1978. This Conference was sponsored by IMCO, the Intergovernmental Maritime Consultative Organization, a specialized agency of the United Nations concerned with maritime affairs. The Conference considered proposals made by the United States for modifications to two international agreements hearing on tanker safety and pollution prevention matters, along with alternative proposals suggested by other nations during a series of preparatory meetings, also sponsored by IMCO. The two agreements to be modified are: The International Convention for the Prevention of Pollution from Ships, 1973, commonly referred to as "MARPOL 73"; and The International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea, 1974, commonly referred to as "SOLAS 74." The Conference was organized in response to a call by President Carter of the United States for international action following a series of tanker accidents in or near U.S. waters during the winter of 1976-77.
- Presented at Symposium on Marine Environmental Considerations by Joint California Sections of SNAME, March 31-April 2, 1978, La Jolla, California.
Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers601 Pavonia Avenue
Jersey City, NJ United States 07306-2907
- Snider, W D
- Publication Date: 1978
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 32 p.
- TRT Terms: Ballast (Ships); Crash avoidance systems; Oil spill cleanup; Oil spills; Petroleum refining; Pollution; Pollution control; Prevention; Regulation; Regulations; Tankers
- Identifier Terms: International Maritime Consultative organization
- Old TRIS Terms: Crude washing; Double bottom tankers; Imco pollution regulations; Oil spill prevention; Segregated ballast tankers; Tanker pollution prevention
- Subject Areas: Environment; Law; Marine Transportation; Safety and Human Factors; Security and Emergencies;
- Accession Number: 00174050
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 3 1978 12:00AM