AN INVESTIGATION OF SELECT HULL FORMS
A form parameter using an extremely abbreviated function of bow curvature is presented and discussed. Through a dimensional-comparative approach, it is shown that a specific resistance value for drag due to form may be obtained with the use of the form parameter. It is demonstrated that trends of specific resistance of the Taylor Standard Series may be represented as a single curve for a given Froude number. This suggests that a hypothetical series may be established by a single curve drawn through a desirable range of specific values within an array of unrelated hull forms. A hypothetical series of select hull forms so constructed is examined with regrad to form and area distribution in an attempt to isolate those features contributing to a low specific resistance.
- Presented to the Northern California Section of SNAME, San Francisco, California, January 13, 1977.
Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers601 Pavonia Avenue
Jersey City, NJ USA 07306-2907
- Reynolds, Z M
- Publication Date: 1977
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 76 p.
- TRT Terms: Fluid resistance; Froude number; Hulls; Hydrodynamics; Vehicle design; Wave drag; Wave resistance
- Uncontrolled Terms: Hull resistance; Ship design
- Old TRIS Terms: Effects; Hull forms
- Subject Areas: Design; Hydraulics and Hydrology; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00173982
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 3 1978 12:00AM