STRUCTURAL RESPONSE OF A TWIN-HULL SEMISUBMERSIBLE IN WAVES
This paper describes the recent development of a computational system for predicting the wave-induced motions, dynamic pressures, and dynamic loads of a twin-hull semi-submersible platform. The theory employed in the system is reviewed, to provide a general background of the procedure of computetion. This includes the assumptions made in this development, as well as the applicability of the procedure. To illustrate the usefulness of the predicted motions, pressures and loads to the design field, a procedure is employed for calculating the total force distribution on the submerged bull, wherein the hydrostatic pressure force and inertic force of structural weight and cargo are also taken into account. This total force distribution is then applied to a finite-element structural model for stress analysis. An example of the procedure is presented for a simplified platform configuration where the linear dimensions of the lower hulls are not much smaller than the platform's overall length. The results of the analysis are compared with those of a conventional quasi-static approach.
- Presented at SNAME Gulf Section Meeting on Februrary 10, 1978, Houston, Texas.
Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers601 Pavonia Avenue
Jersey City, NJ USA 07306-2907
- Stiansen, S G
- Chen, H H
- Lee, F K
- Publication Date: 1978
- Pagination: 48 p.
- TRT Terms: Computer programs; Dynamic loads; Finite element method; Force; Hydrodynamic pressure; Loads; Motion; Offshore platforms; Pressure; Semisubmersibles; Structural analysis; Structural design; Structural mechanics; Waves
- Identifier Terms: American Bureau of Shipping
- Uncontrolled Terms: Dynamic response; Pressure distribution; Structural response
- Old TRIS Terms: Computer programs (Platform design); Hydrodynamic forces; Motion response of platforms; Offshore platform design; Platform motions; Wave forces on structures; Wave induced loads
- Subject Areas: Bridges and other structures; Design; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00173981
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Society of Naval Architects and Marine Engineers
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 3 1978 12:00AM