LATERAL STABILITY OF FREIGHT CARS WITH AXLES HAVING DIFFERENT WHEEL PROFILES AND ASYMMETRIC LOADING
The majority of studies of rail vehicle lateral dynamic response have utilized models wherein it is assumed that the loading and geometry of the vehicles are symmetrical left and right and fore and aft. It has been observed that with use North American rail freight vehicles develop transverse wheel profiles that may be different for wheels on a given axle and that may also differ from axle to axle on a given vehicle. As the transverse wheel profiles exert a strong influence on lateral dynamic response by affecting the effective conicity and gravitational stiffness of the wheelset, models capable of having different wheel profiles on the same axle as well as on different axles were developed to investigate the stability behavior. Additionally, these models were formulated so that the effects on stability of asymmetric fore and aft loading conditions, as manifested through gravitational stiffness effects and creep coefficients, could be examined. Results of studies using these models are presented that display characteristics markedly different from those of completely symmetric models. A particularly interesting result is that, in most cases, the lateral stability of vehicles with different wheel profiles on the various axles is strongly sensitive to the direction of motion with results for each direction of motion which may differ radically from symmetric cases.
- Contributed by Rail Transportation Division of ASME for presentation at the Rail Transportation Conference, St. Paul, Minnesota, April 11-13, 1978.
American Society of Mechanical EngineersTwo Park Avenue
New York, NY USA 10016-5990
- Tuten, J M
- Law, E H
- Cooperrider, N K
- Publication Date: 1978
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 16 p.
- TRT Terms: Freight cars; Hunting (Dynamics); Loading and unloading; Mathematical models; Train track dynamics; Trucks; Vehicle dynamics; Wear; Wheels
- Uncontrolled Terms: Lateral dynamics; Wheel profiles
- Old TRIS Terms: Freight car dynamics; Freight car loading
- Subject Areas: Motor Carriers; Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00173783
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Report/Paper Numbers: 78-RT-3 Conf Paper
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 26 1978 12:00AM