ORGANIZING FOR NUMERICAL CONTROL PRODUCTION
The paper reviews the development of Numerical Control methods at Avondale shipyards culminating with the installation of the SPADES system in 1973. To date, this system has been used for the building of LNG tankers, drilling rigs, large and small barges and a dry dock. From this experience, the paper discusses the responsibilities of the various departments in the Numerical Control structure, i.e. Computer Applications, Scientific Section, Engineering hull section, Production Department, Steel Purchasing, Production Planning, Material (Steel) Section. The activities and equipment of the Mould loft and plate shop are also briefly described.
- Proceedings of the 1976 REAPS Technical Symposium, Atlanta, Georgia, June 15-16, 1976.
Illinois Institute of Technology3300 South Federal Street
Chicago, IL USA 60616-3793
- Nuzzo, V H
- Publication Date: 1976
- Pagination: 21 p.
- TRT Terms: Data processing; Numerical control; Planning; Production; Production control; Productivity; Shipbuilding; Shipyards
- Old TRIS Terms: Numerical control systems
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Planning and Forecasting;
- Accession Number: 00173646
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: British Ship Research Association
- Report/Paper Numbers: Proceeding
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 26 1978 12:00AM