FRICTION CLUTCH REVERSE-REDUCTION GEARS FOR THE GTS
The design and performance of the 20,000 hp reverse-reduction gears and clutches installed in the gas turbine ship ( GTS ) Adm. Wm. M. Callaghan, the first large high-speed cargo ship designed for gas-turbine propulsion, are reviewed. Details of design, component testing, and performance calculations and the results of sea trials and service experience are presented. The successful operation of the reverse gears indicates that similar applications for gas-turbine propulsion of large merchant vessels can be undertaken.
American Society of Mechanical EngineersTwo Park Avenue
New York, NY United States 10016-5990
- Richardson, W S
- Publication Date: 1969-3
- Pagination: 10 p.
- TRT Terms: Clutches; Gas turbines; Gears; Propulsion; Reduction gears
- Old TRIS Terms: Reversing gears
- Subject Areas: Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00014888
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Report/Paper Numbers: Paper 69-GT-5
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: May 7 1973 12:00AM