INTERPRETATION OF OCEANOGRAPHIC DATA FOR THE DESIGN OF OCEAN THERMAL ENERGY CONVERSION PLANTS
The design of an Ocean Thermal Energy Conversion (OTEC) plant requires oceanographic measurements at the specific site to a fine level of detail over a time interval and with a frequency sufficient to assure optimum configuration and performance. A part of the design process is continuous evaluation on the oceanic data and matching it to the needs of design, construction and test. Of the great quantities of oceanographic data available at likely OTEC sites, little was acquired with the objective of an OTEC plant. A structure of such large size, mass and involving such large mooring loads and large amounts of fluid flow is without precedent. Consequently, some data is of direct applicability, some needs interpretation, some may have insufficient accuracy of resolution and additional measurements may be required. A program is underway to assess available ocean data, to design a plan and schedule to match ocean data to design, construction and test, to match existing data to this plan and to recommend a program of additional measurements.
- Third Annual Combined Conference, Oceans '77, held October 17-19, 1977, Los Angeles.
Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)3 Park Avenue, 17th Floor
New York, NY United States 10016-5997
Marine Technology Society5565 Sterrett Place, Suite 108
Columbia, MD United States 21044
- Lewis, L F
- Mavor Jr, J W
- Publication Date: 1977
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 7 p.
- Volume: 2
- TRT Terms: Electric power plants; Energy conversion; Environmental impact analysis; Heat exchangers; Oceans; Offshore power plants; Performance; Structural design; Surveys; Thermal power generation; Thermal power plants
- Old TRIS Terms: Environmental surveys (Otec); Oceanographic data; Power plant design; Power plant performance
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Design; Energy; Environment; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00173293
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- Report/Paper Numbers: 77CH1272-4 OEC Proceeding
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 26 1978 12:00AM