APPLICATION OF THE UTCS-1 NETWORK SIMULATION MODEL TO SELECT OPTIMAL SIGNAL TIMINGS IN A MULTI-LINEAR STREET SYSTEM
The objective of this study was to demonstrate and apply a computer model capable of simulating automobile traffic on an urban roadway. With the many urban intersections controlled by traffic signals, this investigation sought ways to improve the flow of traffic through signalized systems. Transportation System Management guidelines were recognized and emphasis was applied accordingly. The UTCS-1 network flow simulation model for urban traffic was used in this research. Computer simulation provided detailed, quantitative output for a good insight into a particular alternative's merits in relation to others. Emphasis was placed on retiming signals to provide for the better flow of traffic. Measures of effectiveness used in comparing alternatives included network average speed, carbon monoxide emissions, fuel efficiency, delay, and stops per vehicle-trip. Additionally, major and minor street delay was considered. In the study of selecting an efficient signal control strategy for a study area, trade-off analyses were conducted. Signal timing methodologies were presented and reviewed. These methods were employed in the generation of signal timing plans. /Author/
Purdue University/Indiana Department of Transportation JHRPPurdue University, School of Civil Engineering
West Lafayette, IN USA 47907-1284
- Carini Jr, R N
- Publication Date: 1977-11-8
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 164 p.
- TRT Terms: Benefit cost analysis; Braking performance; Carbon monoxide; Fuel consumption; Guidelines; Measures of effectiveness; Networks; Signalized intersections; Simulation; Traffic delays; Traffic flow; Traffic signal timing; Traffic simulation; Transportation system management; Urban areas
- Old TRIS Terms: Substitutes
- Subject Areas: Energy; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management;
- Accession Number: 00173244
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: JHRP-77-19 Intrm Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 12 1978 12:00AM