METHOD FOR MEASURING SURFACE TEMPERATURE BETWEEN ROLLING/SLIDING STEEL CYLINDERS
A special bisignal transducer has been developed which allows pressure and temperature measurements to be made (essentially) simultaneously. With this technique, it is possible to locate the contact zone temperature relative to pressure and evaluate the relationship between heat generation and pressure. Temperature and pressure data obtained using a synthetic mineral oil as the lubricant have been obtained for rolling and rolling-sliding contact in a disk apparatus. The temperature rise through the contact zone has been shown to be on the order of 20-40 C.
- Paper for Meeting, October 3-5, 1977.
American Society of Mechanical EngineersTwo Park Avenue
New York, NY USA 10016-5990
- Kannel, J W
- Zugaro, F F
- Dow, T A
- Publication Date: 1977
- Pagination: 5 p.
- TRT Terms: Adhesion; Bearings; Car wheels (Railroads); Force; Instrumentation; Lubrication; Pressure transducers; Rail (Railroads); Rheology; Roller bearings; Temperature; Temperature measuring instruments; Transducers; Wheels
- Old TRIS Terms: Ehd lubrication; Elastohydrodynamics
- Subject Areas: Railroads; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00173159
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Report/Paper Numbers: n 77-Lub-1
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 26 1978 12:00AM