A DEFORMED WAKE MODEL FOR MARINE PROPELLERS
This Report, which is available in microfiche form, presents a systematic series of experiments in which the radius and pitch of propeller tip vortices are measured and analysed. The measurements of ultimate wake pitch are compared with theoretical predictions based both on a simple activator disc model, and on a direct calculation of the self-induced velocities of the helical vortices. The effect of wake deformation on the computed radial distribution of pitch and camber for a specific design example is given.
Massachusetts Institute of TechnologyDepartment of Ocean Engineering, 77 Massachusetts Avenue
Cambridge, MA United States 02139
- Kerwin, J E
- Publication Date: 1976-11
- Pagination: 44 p.
- TRT Terms: Pitch (Dynamics); Propellers; Vehicle design; Vortices; Wakes
- Old TRIS Terms: Propeller design; Propeller pitch; Wake analysis
- Subject Areas: Design; Marine Transportation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00173028
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 12 2004 12:00AM