PRELIMINARY DESIGN STUDY: FIFTH AND SIXTH AVENUES TRANSIT MALL, PORTLAND, OREGON
The project described in this study consists of the preliminary designs of a mass transit mall along 5th and 6th Avenues in downtown Portland, a distance of approximately 11 blocks for each Avenue. The mall is designed to make mass transit an attractive and compelling alternative to the automobile. Almost all buses operating in the downtown area will be routed to and through the transit mall. In addition, the mall is expected to provide convenient transfers between lines and serve as a link between suburban transit stations, shuttle buses, inter-city buses and, heavy and light rail transportation. Included in this study are construction cost estimates, preliminary engineering design plans, traffic design plans, landscape architecture designs, traffic improvement plans, an an environmental impact analysis.
- Prepared for Tri-County Metropolitan Transportation District of Oregon. Funding assistance provided by DOT, Urban Mass Transportation Administration.
Skidmore, Owings & Merrill ArchitectsGeorgia-Pacific Building, 900 SW Fifth Avenue
Portland, OR United States 97204
Halprin (Lawrence) & Associates1620 Montgomery Street
San Francisco, CA United States 94111
Moffat, Nichol & Bonney Engineers1845 NE Church Street
Portland, OR United States 97211
- Publication Date: 1974-8-14
- Features: Appendices; Figures;
- Pagination: 107 p.
- TRT Terms: Automobiles; Bus transportation; Construction; Costs; Environmental impacts; Intercity bus lines; Lane distribution; Mode choice; Public transit; Railroad transportation; Shopping centers; Suburbs; Traffic; Transfers; Transportation planning; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Construction costs
- Old TRIS Terms: Modal selection
- Subject Areas: Construction; Environment; Finance; Highways; Motor Carriers; Operations and Traffic Management; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00172921
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-IT-09-0022
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 12 1981 12:00AM