THE SEISMICITY OF INDIANA AND ITS RELATIONSHIP TO CIVIL ENGINEERING STRUCTURES--PHASE B
Part I of this study presents the results of a literature study, seismic history, and geological seismo-tectonics pertaining to the study. The purpose of this study is to recommend seismic design provisions to be incorporated into the state building code as a modification to the provisions of the Uniform Building Code (UBC). In order to estimate an appropriate earthquake design criteria and establish patterns of earthquake occurrence, it is necessary to examine the seismic history in detail, and attempt to understand the relationship of this history to the geology of the region. Based on these studies, certain relationships can be seen or hypothesized. These relationships provide a basis for estimating the location and size of future earthquake in the region. The geology of Indiana is reviewed for the purpose of relating the geological conditions in the state to the regional conditions in order to assess the likelihood of earthquake occurrence in the state. Part II of this study uses the results achieved in Part I to establish recurrent relationships for earthquakes in the Indiana area as well as possible quantitative descriptions of design earthquakes and the design earthquake parameters given in Part II are based on data that are too insufficient to base definitive engineering decisions upon.
- Conducted in cooperation with Indiana State Highway Commission and Administrative Building Council.
Purdue University/Indiana Department of Transportation JHRPPurdue University, School of Civil Engineering
West Lafayette, IN USA 47907-1284
- Kovacs, W D
- Murphy, W J
- Publication Date: 1977-12-21
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 124 p.
- TRT Terms: Building codes; Design; Earthquake resistant design; Earthquake resistant structures; Earthquakes; Forecasting; Geology; Seismology; Statistical analysis; Tectonics
- Uncontrolled Terms: Design criteria
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Design; Geotechnology; Highways; Law;
- Accession Number: 00172911
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: JHRP-77-21 Intrm Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 12 1978 12:00AM