INVESTIGATION AND ANALYSIS OF THE PAXSON ROADWAY ICING
In 1970 a research study was started on a series of roadway icings near Paxson on the Richardson Highway. This area was selected after considering the icing severity, the repeatibility, and the high cost of maintenance of this site. Two cross sections approximately a half mile apart were selected as representing the worst parts of two different icings. In the fall of 1970 field investigation of subsurface conditions were carried out in conjunction with the installation of vertical thermocouple strings, snow poles and piezomters. Throughout the winter of 1970-71 the progressive icings, snow fall and frost penetration were monitored. An extensive search for water sources was also performed to determine the method by which the water reaches the icings. Data from this first winter indicted the depths of frost penetration in roadway and ditch area, but did not provide good groundwater information. From the fall of 1971 through 1974, heavy winter snows effectively insulated the ditch areas and reduced the icing to tolerable levels. Extremely low snowfall during the 1975-76 winter again resulted in extremely severe icing conditions. During this winter, groundwater level recorders were installed to measure pressure heads beneath to ditch ice, and air temperatures were continuously recorded, in addition to periodic snow and ice depth measurements. Recommendations are made for prevention of the icing conditions, based on results of the field studies. /FHWA/
- This report was prepared in cooperation with DOT, Federal Highway Administration.
Juneau, AK United States 99801
- Johnson, E G
- Esch, D C
- Publication Date: 1977-2
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 33 p.
- TRT Terms: Ditches; Frost; Frost damage; Groundwater; Highway maintenance; Icing; Maintenance management; Piezometers; Snow and ice control; Thermocouples
- Uncontrolled Terms: Frost penetration; Maintenance costs
- Old TRIS Terms: Tellurometers
- Subject Areas: Highways; Maintenance and Preservation;
- Accession Number: 00172867
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Highway Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-AK-77-1 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: AK Hpr Study 77-889
- Files: TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Apr 12 1978 12:00AM