GOLDEN GATE RECREATIONAL TRAVEL STUDY
This study investigated the impact of the development of certain lands in the San Francisco Bay Area as a national parkland, and planned methods of carrying visitors to and within the park areas. The plans attempted to resolve problems related to: the accelerated weekend travel demands in already traffic-conjesteed areas; and access for the general populace to this major new Bay Area recreational source. Funding policies, general policies concerning transit operators, field data for future recreational travel plans, and policies relating to non-monitorized access are considered. The Study Plan recommends two basic additions to the existing transportation system--Transit/Information Junctures and Park Shuttles. Specific recommendations for changes in current transit routes are also made. The mathematical model for predicting the amount of travel between the park and populated areas, transportation alternatives, and information systems which would stimulate travel are discussed. The major study findings regarding transit use, auto use, and informational needs are presented.
- The preparation of this report has been financed in part through a grant from the U.S. Department of Transportation, Urban Mass Transportation Administration, under the Urban Mass Transportation Act of 1964, as amended. Additional funding has been provided by the National Park Service, the County of Marin, Caltrans and the Federal Highway Administration.
Metropolitan Transportation CommissionAshby Avenue and Domingo Avenue
Berkeley, CA USA 94705
- Publication Date: 1977-7
- Features: Figures;
- Pagination: 82 p.
- TRT Terms: Access; Automobile travel; Forecasting; Information systems; Mathematical models; Parks; Public transit; Recreation; Shuttle service; Transportation policy; Travel demand; Weekends
- Uncontrolled Terms: Fund allocations
- Subject Areas: Economics; Highways; Planning and Forecasting; Policy; Public Transportation; Society;
- Accession Number: 00172828
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-CA-09-0025 Sumry Rpt.
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 29 1981 12:00AM