TRENDS IN AIRCRAFT LANDING SYSTEMS
This paper describes the present anticipated contributions of two systems of approach and landing guidance -- VHF/UHF Instrument Landing System (ILS), and Microwave Landing System (MLS). The first part of the paper is a brief history of aircraft approach and landing guidance. This is followed by a discussion of the large recent improvements in ILS through new engineering developments. Key features of the five national proposals for MLS competing for being identified as the international standard are described along with the most apparent improvements the MLS systems will provide.
- IEEE Paper 114 from IEEE Electron and Aerospace System Conv (EASCON '76) Washington, D.C., September 26-29, 1976.
Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)3 Park Avenue, 17th Floor
New York, NY United States 10016-5997
- Moore, R A
- Cooper, H W
- Littlepage, R S
- Publication Date: 1976
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 14 p.
- TRT Terms: Aircraft; Approach control; Instrument landing systems; Landing; Microwave landing systems; Trend (Statistics); Ultrahigh frequency; Very high frequency
- Old TRIS Terms: Aircraft landing; Ultrahigh frequencies
- Subject Areas: Aviation; Operations and Traffic Management; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00172750
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Engineering Index
- Report/Paper Numbers: 76CH1154-4 EASCON Proceeding
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 12 1978 12:00AM