GRAIN AND RAIL IN WESTERN CANADA
This volume contains seven reports which are part of the research carried out on the evaluation of grain transportation and handling systems in western Canada. These reports indicate some of the constraints on retention and expansion of the secondary agricultural industries in western Canada, as well as a look at the energy implications of changes in the branch line network and the minitrain as an alternative to conventional branch line operations. These background papers are part of the input to conclusions reached and recommendations made by the Commission in Volume I. The papers: Cost of Hauling Grain by Farm Truck in Western Canada; Road Costs; The Energy Implications of Rationalization of Light Density Branch Lines; The Impact of Branch Line Abandonment on the Fiscal Viability of Local Governments; Mini-Train Operation with Transloading Facilities--A Feasibility Study; Commercial Trucking Costs and Features; Transportation-Related Distortions in the Canadian Flour Milling Industry.
- Report of the Grain Handling and Transportation Commission, Government of Canada. See also Volumes 1 and 3 RRIS 24 178554 and 178553 respectively; Bulletin 7802.
Ministry of Supply and Services, CanadaPrinting and Publishing
Ottawa, ONo K1A 0S9, Canada
- Publication Date: 1977
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 434 p.
- Volume: 2
- TRT Terms: Abandonment; Agricultural products; Branch lines; Bulk cargo handling; Energy consumption; Freight traffic; Grain; Loading and unloading; Local government; Motor carriers; Operations; Planning; Railroad traffic; Special trains; Traffic density
- Uncontrolled Terms: Grain trade
- Geographic Terms: Canada
- Old TRIS Terms: Agricultural traffic; Bulk handling; Energy intensiveness; Light density lines; Operations planning
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Energy; Freight Transportation; Motor Carriers; Planning and Forecasting; Railroads;
- Accession Number: 00172636
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Ministry of Supply and Services, Canada
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 29 1978 12:00AM