NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF COUNTY ENGINEERS ACTION GUIDE SERIES, VOLUME XI: ADMINISTRATION OF BRIDGE INSPECTION
This manual attempts to show county officials where to find pertinent laws, regulations and guide manuals and to comment on the legal and public responsibilities associated with the ownership of bridges and other highway structures. Federal, State and local regulations are reviewed, and state and federal highway programs are discussed. Tort liability, and engineers statutory responsibility are examined, and comments are made on the responsibility to the public, and preventive maintenance. Bridge inventory is discussed in relation to federal requirements and the elements of an inventory. Various aspects of bridge inspection are covered including qualification of inspectors and inspection by technicians. Bridge rating is reviewed with reference to structural capacity determination, change of loading, posting-reduced load or speed, and public education.
- Research performed in accordance with a contract from DOT, Federal Highway Administration.
National Association of County EngineersLinn County Courthouse
Cedar Rapids, IA United States 52401
National Association of Counties Res Foundation308 Jacolyn Drive, NW
Cedar Rapids, IA United States 32405
- Campbell, J L
- Publication Date: 1972-7
- Features: Appendices; Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 33 p.
- TRT Terms: Administration; Bridges; Federal government; Inspection; Inspectors; Inventory; Laws; Liability; Loads; Ownership; Preventive maintenance; Publicity; Regulations; Speed; Tort liability
- Uncontrolled Terms: Loading
- Geographic Terms: United States
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Bridges and other structures; Freight Transportation; Highways; Law; Maintenance and Preservation;
- Accession Number: 00172473
- Record Type: Publication
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FH-7709
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 14 1978 12:00AM