NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF COUNTY ENGINEERS ACTION GUIDE SERIES, VOLUME VIII: MAINTENANCE MANAGEMENT
This guide is intended to provide a basic understanding of maintenance management systems, how they work, the benefits to be derived and how best to adopt and implement such systems. Guidelines are presented for developing maintenance programs, budgeting and allocating resources, authorizing and scheduling work, reporting and evaluating performance, and adapting and implementing a maintenance management system. It is noted that methods and procedures must be constantly improved and training needs clearly defined. Service levels, performance standards and methods and procedures must be continuously scrutinized and revised according to changing conditons. Elected officials and engineers must be prepared to establish reasonable levels of maintenance service and ensure adherence to them, and anticipate the possibility of reduced manpower and equipment needs for routine maintenance. Officials and engineers must authorize and finance minor construction or betterment work to be done by maintenance forces until such time as the required staff level is reached, and must also use to its fullest extent, information gained from the system for planning work, evaluating performance and taking corrective action when actual performance does not meet planned performance.
- Research performed in accordance with a contract from DOT, Federal Highway Administration.
National Association of County EngineersLinn County Courthouse
Cedar Rapids, IA United States 52401
National Association of Counties Res Foundation308 Jacolyn Drive, NW
Cedar Rapids, IA United States 32405
- Park, D H
- Burnette, G W
- Publication Date: 1972-7
- Features: Appendices; Figures;
- Pagination: 53 p.
- TRT Terms: Budgeting; Level of service; Maintenance equipment; Maintenance management; Maintenance personnel; Performance; Reports; Resource allocation; Scheduling; Standards; Training
- Uncontrolled Terms: Reporting
- Subject Areas: Education and Training; Finance; Highways; Maintenance and Preservation; Vehicles and Equipment;
- Accession Number: 00172470
- Record Type: Publication
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FH-7709
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 14 1978 12:00AM