NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF COUNTY ENGINEERS ACTION GUIDE SERIES, VOLUME VII: COUNTY TRAFFIC OPERATIONS
This guide attempts to help the county engineer develop a minimum traffic program and to work with consultants and/or state engineers. Procedures are described for collecting and analyzing the traffic data most used in traffic operations engineering, and the most important criteria and standards for effective traffic operations are discussed. The guide also identifies appropriate resource publications for specific subject areas. Traffic volume studies, accident studies and speed studies which will influence decisions on traffic operations improvements are discussed, and traffic control devices, traffic signs (traffic signs, regulatory signs, warning signs and guide signs) markings (pavement markings, object markings, delineation), and signals (traffic signals, beacons, railroad crossing signals) are reviewed. Other aspects covered include the following: traffic controls for construction and maintenance operations, traffic control for school areas, and miscellaneous traffic operations (parking, highway guardrails, channelization, public relations).
- Research performed in accordance with a contract from DOT, Federal Highway Administration.
National Association of County EngineersLinn County Courthouse
Cedar Rapids, IA United States 52401
National Association of Counties Res Foundation308 Jacolyn Drive, NW
Cedar Rapids, IA United States 32405
- Publication Date: 1972-7
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 58 p.
- TRT Terms: Beacons; Construction sites; Guardrails; Highway maintenance; Highway operations; Parking; Railroad grade crossings; Road markings; Schools; Standards; Studies; Traffic; Traffic control devices; Traffic crashes; Traffic engineering; Traffic signals; Traffic signs; Traffic speed; Traffic volume
- Old TRIS Terms: Beacon lights; Speed studies; Traffic marking
- Subject Areas: Education and Training; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Railroads; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00172469
- Record Type: Publication
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FH-7709
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 14 1978 12:00AM