NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF COUNTY ENGINEERS ACTION GUIDE SERIES, VOLUME I: ORGANIZATION--PERSONNEL--PURCHASING
Three guides are presented here which discuss the basic concepts of management relating to organization, personnel and purchasing. The organization of the road department should be simple, flexible, and with clear lines of authority. The management or administration of the department consists primarily of correlating money, men, materials, space and time into an effective system. Consideration must be given to details of office location and office layout. Good personnel practices are explained including the defining of job positions, recruitment, salaries, training and separation procedures. A useful guide is also provided on stabilizing employee-county management relations through good personnel management. The guide on purchasing provides a detailed discussion of deciding what equipment needs to be purchased and various methods of procurement. Emphasis is given to the importance of knowing presently owned equipment, the need for future purchase, the source of equipment supplies, and why records are valuable in all purchasing practices.
- Research performed in accordance with a contract from DOT, Federal Highway Administration.
National Association of County EngineersLinn County Courthouse
Cedar Rapids, IA USA 52401
National Association of Counties Res Foundation308 Jacolyn Drive, NW
Cedar Rapids, IA USA 32405
- Publication Date: 1972-7
- Features: Appendices; Figures;
- Pagination: 53 p.
- TRT Terms: Equipment; Guides to information; Highway departments; Highway engineering; Labor unions; Management; Organization; Personnel; Personnel management; Purchasing; Records management; Salaries; Training
- Uncontrolled Terms: Records
- Old TRIS Terms: Guides
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Education and Training; Finance; Freight Transportation; Highways; Society;
- Accession Number: 00172463
- Record Type: Publication
- Contract Numbers: DOT-FH-7709
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Jun 14 1978 12:00AM