GUIDELINES FOR IMPLEMENTATION: ADDENDUM TO ELDERLY AND HANDICAPPED TRANSPORTATION NEEDS
A brief description is given of existing fixed route services and the the characteristics of the special service for the elderly and handicapped are detailed. A majority of the elderly and handicapped are able to use regular transit vehicles, and revision of service characteristics relating to bus stops, shelters etc. which would aid their utilization are noted. The special services and facilities should be used only by those certified as transportation handicapped. The reservation procedure, fares, hours of service and vehicles of such a service are described. Other aspects covered here include budget, terminals, orientation for drivers, promotion and marketing, monitoring, and schedule for implementation are discussed. Appendices are provided which describe the transportation programs in Springfield, the list of terminals relevant to handicapped and elderly, eligibility criteria, and selection criteria.
- This report was prepared in cooperation with the City Utilities Transportation Department, Sprinfield, Missouri and was financially aided through a federal grant from the Department of Transportation.
Springfield, Missouri Zoning and Planning CommSpringfield, MO United States
- Haas, Harald
- Peterson, R
- Reames, N
- Donley, H
- Potter, R
- Publication Date: 1977-3
- Features: Appendices; Figures;
- Pagination: 66 p.
- TRT Terms: Aged; Budgeting; Driver training; Fares; Implementation; Intermodal terminals; Marketing; Monitoring; Persons with disabilities; Public transit; Reservations; Scheduling
- Old TRIS Terms: Special service
- Subject Areas: Economics; Finance; Highways; Public Transportation; Research; Society; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00172433
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: M0-09-0007 UMTA Monograph
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 26 1981 12:00AM