DYNAMIC CENTRALIZED AND DECENTRALIZED CONTROL SYSTEMS
This report develops a systematic method for designing suboptimal decentralized control systems. The method is then applied to the design of a decentralized controller for a freeway-corridor system. A freeway corridor is considered to be a system of parallel freeways and arterials connecting two locations. A centralized control system is designed for a freeway corridor using the Linear Quadratic Gaussian (LOG) regulator-design technique. It is found that the centralized design works well, subject to the validity of the model that is used. An approach similar to the LQG method is used to develop the decentralized design method. A linearized model is used, and the subsystem filters and control laws are assumed to be linear. Communication between subsystems is specified before the filter and control gains are designed. The problem is formed as a static minimization constrained by a Lyapunov matrix equation. The variables over which the cost is minimized are the elements of the filter and control gains. A computer solution to the constrained static minimization is developed. The design method is applied to a freeway-corridor system, and resulting design is compared to the centralized solution. It is found that the decentralized control system works almost as well as the centralized control system. /Author/
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/isbn/OS750R8526
- Sponsored by the Department of Transportation, under contract to the Transportation Systems Center.
Massachusetts Institute of TechnologyElectronics Systems Laboratory
Cambridge, MA USA
- Looze, D P
- HOUPT, P K
- Athans, M
- Publication Date: 1977-9
- Features: Appendices; Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 114 p.
- TRT Terms: Centralized traffic control; Computer programs; Costs; Linear systems; Mathematical analysis; Traffic control; Transportation corridors
- Old TRIS Terms: Centralized control; Traffic control systems
- Subject Areas: Finance; Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Terminals and Facilities;
- Accession Number: 00172357
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: National Technical Information Service
- ISBN: OS750/R8526
- Report/Paper Numbers: DOT-TSC-OST-77-10 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-TSC-849
- Files: NTIS, TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 26 1978 12:00AM