CRITICAL FACTORS INFLUENCING THE DEMAND FOR TRANSIT
This report identifies the direct, as well as latent demand for public and mass transportation services, and assesses the factors which are critical to developing expanded transit usage. Individual and behavioral characteristics explaining transit demand are assayed, as well as transit system and population characteristics influencing the demand for mass transportation. Transit demand forecasts by transit leaders are also included. The most significant personal and attitudinal characteristics which predict bus ridership are: the lack of an automobile, close proximity to a bus route and positive evaluation of buses relative to automobiles. The two indicators most explanatory of patronage for conventional buses: the lack of automobile, and the lack of limiting physical disabilities. The propensity to use buses among current nonriders was examined to determine the most critical factors that influence a decision to switch to public transportation. Three behavioral demand forecasting models are outlined for examining alterations or improvements in transit service. Macro-level indicators for demand forecasting were also assessed. Two systematic demand models for estimating daily ridership are presetned.
- Sponsored by the Texas State Department of Highways and Public Transportation in cooperation with the Urban Mass Transportation Administration.
Arlington, TX United States 76011
- Guseman, P K
- Hatfield, N J
- HALL, J
- Publication Date: 1977-10
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 76 p.
- TRT Terms: Attitudes; Behavior; Bus transportation; Demand; Forecasting; Mathematical models; Public transit; Ridership; Travel demand
- Uncontrolled Terms: Models
- Old TRIS Terms: User characteristics
- Subject Areas: Highways; Motor Carriers; Planning and Forecasting; Public Transportation; Society;
- Accession Number: 00172150
- Record Type: Publication
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTATX77-10522 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: Study 2-10-76-1052
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Apr 12 1981 12:00AM