OBSERVATIONS ON TRANSPORTATION SYSTEM MANAGEMENT (TSM) AND SUGGESTED CRITERIA FOR A WORKABLE TSM PROGRAM
In this paper, general observations are made and developmental efforts for improving TSM are suggested. Seven criteria must be met for a workable TSM process: a workable structure to bring together the various elements of the urban transportation scene; an initial classification system for TSM actions by which feasibility studies can be conducted by the most appropriate participants in the process; a second classification system to group TSM actions assigned to the MPO for study, according to their compatibility in achieving TSM objectives; technical process for evaluating arewide TSM actions or groups of actions which is compatible with the evaluation technology for long-range transportation alternatives; coordinated effort between TSM evaluations and the development of transportation control strategies required under the Clean Air Act; a monitoring process to validate results of TSM actions after implementation; an issure format on alternative combinations of TSM actions for dicsussion and debate by the policy group and funding incentives must be developed to encourage TSM consideration. Topics for priority consideration is developmental work for improving the planning and implementation are also suggested.
- Presented at the Federally-Coordinated Program Conference, Columbus, Ohio.
North Central Texas Council of GovernmentsRegional Data Center, P.O. Drawer COG
Arlington, TX USA 76005-5888
- Roark, J J
- Publication Date: 1977-11-8
- Pagination: 19 p.
- TRT Terms: Classification; Evaluation; Feasibility analysis; Incentives; Policy; Technology; Transportation planning; Transportation system management; Urban transportation
- Uncontrolled Terms: Criteria
- Old TRIS Terms: Future policies; Informal
- Subject Areas: Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Planning and Forecasting; Policy; Public Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00172143
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 29 1981 12:00AM