A STUDY OF MINORITY BUSINESS PARTICIPATION IN THE URBAN MASS TRANSPORTATION INDUSTRY VOLUME I--ANALYSIS OF MINORITY BUSINESS PARTICIPATION
UMTA's Office of Civil Rights (UCR) commissioned this 3-volumed study to establish a data base on the current level of Minority Business Enterprises (MBE) participation in the planning, development, and implementation of transit systems and to recommend changes in enforcement strategies in order to substantially increase MBE participation. The purpose of this report, Volume I, was to examine the participation by and opportunities for MBE in the urban mass transportation industry. A national survey was conducted and the UMTA Minority Business Enterprise Information Sheet (Appendix A) was developed and distributed to twenty-one transit properties selected by UCR (Table 1). The survey revealed that participation by minority businesses in the urban mass transit industry is minimal. This study examined transit properties' procurement activities from 1974-76, affirmative action plans, and UMTA documents. The study recommends that UCR which monitors transit property minority business programs establish more stringent requirements of grantees, require proposed annual and quarterly transit property reports, institute a priority monitoring system, and take measures to more closely link the minority business program with the UMTA grant funding system. /Author/
- Sponsored by the Department of Transportation, Urban Mass Transportation Administration. Volumes 1, 2 and 3 available from NTIS as a set, PB-274772/A21. Volume 4, Minority Business Capabilities Data bank is computerized and is available from UMTA's Office of Civil Rights upon written request.
One America, Incorporated1750 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Suite 418
Washington, DC United States 20006
- Publication Date: 1977-7
- Pagination: 122 p.
- TRT Terms: Managerial personnel; Minorities; Procurement; Public transit; Surveys; Transportation planning; Transportation policy; Urban transportation
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Highways; Policy; Public Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00172063
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Urban Mass Transportation Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: UMTA-DC-06-0146-77-1Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: DOT-UT-60079T
- Files: NTIS, TRIS, USDOT
- Created Date: Mar 29 1981 12:00AM