A LABORATORY EVALUATION OF THE INFLUENCE OF CRUSHED STONE, AGGREGATE TOP SIZE AND BINDER TYPE ON AETM PROPERTIES
This study reports the findings of a laboratory investigation to determine the effect of selected parameters on asphalt emulsion treated mixtures (AETM). The modified Marhsall method developed by Dr. Gadallah was used as the evaluation criteria throughout the study. The work is divided into three separate phases. The first is an extension of Dr. Gadallah's work to cover crushed limestone aggregate. In this first phase the effects of curing time, aggregate gradation, asphalt emulsion content and moisture added to the dry aggregate on selected mix parameters were investigated. In the second phase a comparison between asphalt cement and asphalt emulsion binders was made for two aggregate types and three asphalt contents. In the last phase a preliminary investigation of testing large size aggregates in samples six inches (15.24 cm) in diameter was evaluated for the effect of sample size, aggregate top size, gradation and asphalt emulsion content. It was found that only the level of curing, aggregate type and level of binder content had a consistently significant effect on the AETM properties measured by the Marshall test. /Author/
- Sponsored by the Indiana State Highway Commission. Prepared in cooperation with the DOT, FHWA. Research on study titled Design Parameters for Asphalt Treated Bases in Rigid and Flexible Pavement Systems.
Purdue University/Indiana Department of Transportation JHRPPurdue University, School of Civil Engineering
West Lafayette, IN United States 47907-1284
- Saxton, B V
- Publication Date: 1977-7
- Pagination: 146 p.
- TRT Terms: Aggregate gradation; Aggregates; Alternatives analysis; Asphalt cement; Asphalt content; Binders; Concrete curing; Crushed limestone; Emulsified asphalt; Laboratory tests; Limestone; Marshall test; Moisture content; Statistical sampling; Testing
- Uncontrolled Terms: Sample size
- Subject Areas: Data and Information Technology; Geotechnology; Highways; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00172048
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Highway Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-IN-77-JHRP-9 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: HPR-1(14) Part II
- Files: TRIS, ATRI, USDOT
- Created Date: Mar 29 1978 12:00AM