EVALUATION OF VACUUM PYCNOMETER
This report is concerned with the evaluation of the Yale vacuum pycnometer to determine the feasibility of its use for the rapid determination of maximum specific gravity and asphalt content of bituminous paving mixtures. Asphalt contents of plant-mixed samples from four Louisiana mix types were calculated from the pycnometer determined maximum specific gravities. A comparison of these asphalt contents with both the known and the reflux extraction asphalt contents of these samples would indicate: (1) the accuracy and precision of the Yale pycnometer in determining asphalt content was equivalent to that of the reflux extraction for 3 of 4 mix types tested; and (2) the poor results obtained with the fourth mix type were caused by the inconsistent effective specific qravities associated with a highly absorptive expanded clay aggregate. /Author/
- Record URL:
- Sponsored by the Department of Transportation, Federal Highway Administration.
Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development1201 Capitol Access Road, P.O. Box 94245
Baton Rouge, LA United States 70804-9245
- Carey, D E
- Publication Date: 1977-6
- Pagination: 30 p.
- TRT Terms: Aggregates; Alternatives analysis; Asphalt content; Bituminous mixtures; Evaluation; Expansive clays; Fluxes; Instruments for measuring density; Specific gravity; Testing
- Uncontrolled Terms: Pycnometers
- Old TRIS Terms: Refluxing
- Subject Areas: Geotechnology; Highways; Materials;
- Accession Number: 00172041
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: Federal Highway Administration
- Report/Paper Numbers: FHWA-LA-77-11 Final Rpt.
- Contract Numbers: La HPR 72-6B(B)
- Files: TRIS, USDOT, STATEDOT
- Created Date: Mar 29 1978 12:00AM