POWERING CHARACTERISTICS OF A HIGH-SPEED DISPLACEMENT SHIP IN HEAD SEAS
Powering characteristics of a high-speed displacement ship in calm water as well as in head seas are presented. The added resistance co-efficients for this hull are given for 14 Froude numbers as a function of the non-dimensional encounter frequency. Experimental results are compared with analytical prediction. Predictions are made for added power requirements based on experimental data for operating in several Pierson-Moskowitz sea spectra as well as 307 different North Atlantic sea spectra (Station India): The results show that this ship can operate in State 7 seas without great loss of speed. Order from: BSRA as No. 47,497.
- This Report is available in microfiche form.
David Taylor Naval Ship R&D CenterBethesda, MD USA 20084
- Yeh, HYH
- Porter, R R
- Publication Date: 1975-12
- Features: References;
- Pagination: 30 p.
- TRT Terms: Energy consumption; Fluid resistance; Froude number; High speed craft; Hulls
- Uncontrolled Terms: Hull resistance
- Old TRIS Terms: Effects; Power prediction; Power requirement
- Subject Areas: Design; Energy; Marine Transportation;
- Accession Number: 00170885
- Record Type: Publication
- Source Agency: British Ship Research Association
- Report/Paper Numbers: No. 4069
- Files: TRIS
- Created Date: Mar 14 1978 12:00AM