OPTIMIZING THE USE OF MATERIALS AND ENERGY IN TRANSPORTATION CONSTRUCTION
This presentation of the workshop proceedings includes 4 keynote addresses and the summaries of discussions on 7 topics. The first paper notes that the energy crisis is real and that the situation will worsen in the future. Statistical tabulations and graphs support the statements. The second paper indicates how energy implications can affect roadway decision making. This paper discusses energy costs in relation to the many other factor costs that are considered as a part of the complex resource allocation problem that is at the center of every roadway design problem. The third paper discusses the construction materials situation and points out where materials may be in short supply. One contractor's view of how energy and materials can be optimized, is presented in the last paper. The 7 workshop sessions were designed to identify current practices that conserve energy and materials, suggest innovative practices, and delineate research needs. The workshops focused on the following topics: binders; quality standards; aggregates and other materials; earthwork; waste materials, by-products, and recycled products; production and construction techniques; and new products and procedures post-1985.
- Record URL:
- Find a library where document is available. Order URL: http://worldcat.org/issn/0360859X
- Distribution, posting, or copying of this PDF is strictly prohibited without written permission of the Transportation Research Board of the National Academy of Sciences. Unless otherwise indicated, all materials in this PDF are copyrighted by the National Academy of Sciences. Copyright © National Academy of Sciences. All rights reserved. Sponsored by the Federal Highway Administration of the U.S. Department of Transportation, the Federal Energy Administration, and the Energy Research and Development Administration.
Washington, DC United States 20001
- Conference on Optimizing the Use of Materials and Energy in Transportation Construction
- Location: Washington District of Columbia, United States
- Date: 1975-11-12 to 1975-11-14
- Publication Date: 1976
- Media Type: Digital/other
- Features: Figures; References; Tables;
- Pagination: 74 p.
- Transportation Research Board Special Report
- Issue Number: 166
- Publisher: Transportation Research Board
- ISSN: 0360-859X
- TRT Terms: Aggregates; Binders; Building materials; Conservation; Construction management; Costs; Decision making; Earthwork; Energy; Optimization; Recycling; Research; Resource allocation; Road construction; Standards; Transportation; Waste products (Materials)
- Subject Areas: Administration and Management; Energy; Environment; Research; Transportation (General);
- Accession Number: 00149927
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS, TRB, ATRI
- Created Date: Apr 13 1977 12:00AM