MOTORIST RESPONSE TO GUIDE SIGNING
This study of the relationships among the many measures of response to signs encompassed by Sections 2E and 2F of the "Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices", was oriented toward methods that can be implemented readily by the staffs of traffic engineering organizations. Phase I of the project, the identification of potential MOE's (measures of guide sign effectiveness) and other sources of variance, involved review of 300 documents in 3 categories: vehicle action; driver information processing; and driver predisposition. Phase II addressed the key issues of field evaluation of potential measures and assessment of the suitability of various methods to obtain those measures. The sign-relatedness of each candidate measure is summarized. All studies established 4 target behaviors (detection, interpretation, preference, information processing) as guide sign MOE's. Group differences linking driver sign responses with each behavior is also summarized. The driver factors and vehicle performance selected for evaluation in the field studies are discussed. The field study findings including target behaviors and microflow vehicle performances are presented, as well as a number of methods for the collection of derived MOE's.
- Record URL:
- Distribution, posting, or copying of this PDF is strictly prohibited without written permission of the Transportation Research Board of the National Academy of Sciences. Unless otherwise indicated, all materials in this PDF are copyrighted by the National Academy of Sciences. Copyright © National Academy of Sciences. All rights reserved.
Washington, DC United States 20001
- Publication Date: 1977-1
- Media Type: Digital/other
- Features: Figures; Tables;
- Pagination: 9 p.
- NCHRP Research Results Digest
- Issue Number: 91
- Publisher: Transportation Research Board
Open Access (libre)
- TRT Terms: Behavior; Drivers; Guide signs; Reaction time; Vehicle performance
- Uncontrolled Terms: Driver reaction
- Subject Areas: Highways; Operations and Traffic Management; Safety and Human Factors;
- Accession Number: 00149803
- Record Type: Publication
- Files: TRIS, TRB
- Created Date: Apr 13 1977 12:00AM